have I ever told you that you’re a rockstar? if you’re like me, you might not always feel like one, especially when you’re in the midst of chaos and loads of work. things can get crazy pretty quickly, whether it be at work or at home, or even both. working at a startup, I’ve learned to expect chaos every day! and with a lot of chaos, comes stress, pressure, and this feeling of being totally overwhelmed.
being overwhelmed with a lot of work can bog down your mind and make you feel like you’re never getting out of that mound of work that you’ve got on your desk. but guess, what? it gets better. it gets better because you’re not always going to have a ton to do. things ebb and flow and they’re never the same, which makes getting through a chaotic time more manageable than you might think. you can also focus on making things more efficient like finding ways to cut down on time spent on certain tasks or delegating more easily.
so before you lose your mind and freak out (which is also okay to do, by the way), try a few of these things to ease your mind and keep your cool:
- make a list of EVERYTHING you need to do: doing this gets all the thoughts and worries out of your head and onto paper. just make sure to divide it up into sections so that you don’t get overwhelmed when you look at the list.
- recall a time when you felt super overwhelmed and survived
- organize your time: time can slip away quickly, so in order to get things done, organize yourself and your schedule.
- watch a few funny videos: youtube is your friend when it comes to laughing. my mom and I swap funny videos often and it makes a huge difference in my overall mindset
- figure out what you can delegate: when my husband and I finally broke down and hired a house cleaner, life got SO much easier. it didn’t mean that I wasn’t spending my time cleaning still, but it meant that I didn’t have to do the heavier parts of cleaning, which ended up being a huge time saver
- make your decisions easy: making decisions is exhausting. eliminate as many of them as possible by making them ahead of time or making them non-existent. case in point: deciding on a work uniform so you don’t have to worry about what to wear in the morning
there are tons of other ways to get through a chaotic time, but the most important thing you can do is remember that it’s normal, it’s going to pass, and you’re superwoman. take each hour as a new challenge and believe in yourself!